Thursday, July 29, 2010

PropOfRose Update--Where I am in Writing

Hello, readers of The Properties of a Rose!

While the HPFF queue is closed (and trusted authors are not permitted to post either), I decided that I would write to my hearts' content. I got all the way to Part 27, and I was so excited to have written so much. And then I realised something: It was all crap. Utter crap.

For some reason, I had taken the story in a new and totally different direction than I had planned, making an already "bad" character into an "evil" character--which was not at all what I had intended. I'm very sorry to say that Parts 24-27 were not at all what I really wanted for this story. They have been cut, and I'm starting fresh from the end of Part 23, using only the parts of the following chapters that keep with my original intentions.

In some ways, I am incredibly mad at myself for getting carried away with a plot that I didn't really think through. I knew it was making this story much darker than I want, and yet I wrote it anyway. But then again, I feel like I learned a bit about what I want my limitations to be for each character, you know? Like I don't want Hugo to lose his absurdities, as that's what makes him so endearing to both myself as writer and Rose as his sister. And I don't want Rose to lose site of her spunkiness, even as she finds a softer, sweeter side of herself with Scorpius. And more than anything, I want to expand Albus to make him understanding and more mature, yet still goofy and over-caring for the people he loves (IE his cousins and sister). And Louis will never, ever lose his goofy t-shirts. ;)

Anyway, I'm still ahead of the game, and I've still got time to get further ahead in the remaining days that the queue is closed. I just wanted you all to know and understand what I've been going through--this fiction will not divert from the style it was originally; I enjoy writing it too much to change it drastically.

I also want to thank you guys and gals so so so much for sticking by me with this fic! I really really appriciate all of the reads (over 33,000!) and reviews (278!) that you've given me--all of the support and patience you have shown. If it weren't for many of you and your dedication, I probably would have quit writing this fic long ago. Thank you for encouraging me to go on. :)

You readers rock!

Thanks, and please check in for updates after the queue reopens!

--Kate/RP <3

No comments:

Post a Comment